Sunday, April 7, 2013

Cardboard Closet Organizer

I blame Pinterest for my recent obsession with organizing and crafting. I recently decided that the cluttered, oversized shelf in my walk in closet could be utilized for something more important. I decided to build a cheap shoe and purse organizer.

After perusing Pinterest for a few minutes, I decided cardboard would be the cheapest way to go. Thanks to my eBay shopping addiction, I had plenty of used boxes around my house. It has been my experience that the USPS boxes hold up the best after shipping. I use them when I ship my eBay items and always save the ones I receive.

First, I measured my shelf and selected the boxes that would fit best. I assembled the boxes regularly with packing tape, then cut them to the size and shape I wanted. Next, I used spray adhesive to attach them all together. After the adhesive dried, I made a trip to Lowes for spray paint. I chose a flat brown because it matched the rest of my closet.

Spray painting was the most tedious part of this project. It took two coats of spray paint to cover the organizer. The hardest part was spraying inside the shoe cubbies. While I was waiting for the spray paint to dry, I assembled some little storage boxes to go on top of the organizer. When the spray paint dried, I realized that the organizer was still really plain. I decided to use scrapbook paper to add a pop of color.

I think this project turned out great. It has really increased the amount of storage in my closet. All together it only cost me around $12 for the adhesive, spray paint, and scrapbook paper.











1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! Am going to try to make my own like this because premade ones in stores are insanely priced. Great job and super idea - thank you!

    ReplyDelete